Visitor of the Week: Sushil Tripathi

cshl-visitor-sushil-tripathi-2017

Meet Sushil Tripathi of the University of Helsinki (Finland). Sushil, a postdoc at Tomi Makela's lab, is on campus for the 2017 Biology of Cancer: Microenvironment & Metastasis where he presented a poster titled "Transcriptomic signatures identifying involvement of LKB1 substrates in gastrointestinal tumorigenesis". 

What are your research interests? What are you working on?
My primary research interests are studying the sequence of events critical for tumour formation (i.e., tumorigenesis) and its spread (i.e., metastasis). I am currently working on investigating how LKB1 and its known 14 kinase substrates are involved in controlling lung and gastrointestinal tumorigenesis.

Was there something specific about the Biology of Cancer: Microenvironment & Metastasis meeting that drew you to attend?
I decided to attend the meeting based on its thematic area matching with my research interests. On top of that, I took this meeting as an opportunity to share and discuss my current research and findings with other eminent scientists for their insight and advice.

What is your key takeaway from the meeting?
If I have to choose just one takeaway from this meeting, then it would be the importance of getting goal-oriented career guidance for my future endeavors.

How many CSHL meetings have you attended?
This is my first time attending a CSHL meeting and I am considering to attend the Systems Biology: Global Regulation of Gene Expression scheduled for March 2018.

If someone curious in attending a future iteration of Biology of Cancer: Microenvironment & Metastasis meeting asked you for feedback or advice on it, what would you tell him/her?
Apart from listening to outstanding scientific talks concerning current progresses in the field, this meeting is a fantastic platform to communicate science and interact with other scientists for their critical input. Also, from a future career perspective, this meeting provides you with opportunities to network with other researchers/research groups. 

What do you like most about your time at CSHL?
I must say it’s a beautiful campus and taking a detour was bliss. I enjoyed the meals and the mealtimes served as additional opportunities to interact with even more people.

Thank you to Sushil for being this week's featured visitor. To meet other featured scientists - and discover the wide range of science that takes part in a CSHL meeting or course – go here