Visitor of the Week: Paola Silveira

Photo provided by Paola Silveira

Photo provided by Paola Silveira

Meet Paola Silveira of the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (Brazil). Paola is a member of Amilcar Tanuri's molecular biology lab in the Department of Genetics and in March 2018 will be defending her thesis. Paola is on campus to attend her first CSHL course, 2017 Advanced Sequencing Technologies & Applications.

What are your research interests? What are you working on?
I'm interested in HIV and other endemic viruses affecting Brazil. Currently, I’m working on the next generation sequencing technologies to elucidate the origins and epidemiology of Zika virus, and determining whether there is a viral genetic basis of adverse fetal outcomes resulting from in utero ZIKV infection. 

Was there something specific about the Advanced Sequencing Technologies & Applications course that drew you to apply?
I wanted to gain more knowledge on new sequencing platforms and applications; particularly learn data processing and master bioinformatic tools that are available to me but I wasn't familiar with. The course met these needs and has since broadened my view of the genomics field. I have acquired data analysis know-how, and will confidently apply these new skills when I return to my home institution.

What is your key takeaway from the Course?
I’m looking forward to the next years of the genomic era. The advancements in DNA sequencing technologies and in the bioinformatics field are expanding our knowledge, and turning previously-unimaginable scientific and novel biological applications into achievements.

If someone curious in attending a future iteration of Advanced Sequencing Technologies & Applications course asked you for feedback or advice on it, what would you tell him/her?
For those interested in this course, I would strongly recommend this amazing opportunity. You will learn and you will be learning from the best who are each enthusiastic, supportive, and vested in your learning.  

What do you like most about your time at CSHL?
I’m delighted with the landscape of CSHL campus. Here you're surrounded by green and always be surprised by science sculpture. Additionally, I have met a great group of people here.

Paola received a stipend from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) to cover a portion of her course tuition. On behalf of Paola, we want to thank HHMI for continuing to support and enable young scientists to attend a CSHL course to expand their skills, knowledge, and network. 

Thank you to Paola for being this week's featured visitor. To meet other featured scientists - and discover the wide range of science that takes part in a CSHL meeting or course - go here