Visitor of the Week: Rio Sugimura

cshl-visitor-rio-sugimura

Meet Rio Sugimura of the Center for iPS Cell Research and Application (CiRA) in Kyoto University (Japan). After a six year hiatus, the Japanese national returns to CSHL for his first-ever course: the Scientific Writing Retreat. Rio is a research scientist at CiRA (which he describes to be similar to a senior postdoc running a team) was first here for the 2013 meeting in Stem Cell Biology and has plans to return for its 2021 iteration.  

What are your research interests? What are you working on?
I am interested in stem cells and bioengineering, and am working to understand the fundamental mechanism of human blood development.

How did you know you wanted to study this/make it the focus of your research?
My MD background drove me towards a medicine-relevant field. I chose hematopoiesis as a model to understand stem cells and regeneration for my PhD study and my research has since been around hematology and stem cell biology. At CiRA, a world-renowned institute for induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSC) study, I acquired the latest on iPSC technology which has helped with establishing my research program over the past year. With great collaborators, I employ bioengineering approaches to better understand the fundamental mechanisms of human developmental hematopoiesis.

How did your scientific journey begin?
I was a medical student who was always interested in the power of science. When current medical practices could not save my parents from cancer, I decided to pursue research to push out the limits of medicine.

Was there something specific about the Scientific Writing Retreat that drew you to apply?
I found this workshop via Twitter. I aim to share what I learn at the course with my students in Japan where traditionally, and when compared to the US, the importance of science writing is not emphasized enough.

What and/or how will you apply what you’ve picked up from the Workshop to your work?
Science writing is an algorithm. For example, an abstract conveys the clear structure with background, hypothesis, methods, results and conclusion/significance.

What is your key takeaway from the Workshop?
In the beginning of the workshop, we went through 10 tips for a stronger written piece. My favorite tip is “Know your writing kryptonite.” My kryptonite is the tendency to write run-on sentences. Being now aware of this, I can properly adjust how I revise my written work.

If someone curious in attending this workshop asked you for feedback or advice on it, what would you tell him/her?
You cannot miss such a wonderful opportunity to learn with and get to know great attendees and lecturers.

What do you like most about your time at CSHL?
Food and accommodation. Also interacting with rising scientists at a career stage similar to mine.

Rio received a scholarship from the National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS) to cover a portion of his course tuition. On behalf of Rio, thank you to NIGMS for supporting and enabling our young scientists to attend a CSHL course where they expand their skills, knowledge, and network.

Thank you to Rio for being this week's featured visitor. To meet other featured scientists - and discover the wide range of science that takes part in a CSHL meeting or course - go here.